Superintendent's Message 
Calling All 3 and 4-Year-Olds
Did you know that 90% of a child’s brain develops before the age of 5?
Did you know that Dayton Independent Schools has a Five Star Preschool and Head Start Program?
Did you know that our programs are FREE to ALL 4-year-olds and for those 3-year-olds that qualify based on financial need or social/academic progress?
So, why do we provide high-quality early learning experiences for our students?
Because it Matters…
- Just like a great builder of homes starts out with a strong foundation, we believe that all children deserve a strong start!
- The foundational structure of the brain is being critically established before the age of 5 and our neural networks need high-quality interaction and engagement to build the strongest and most vibrant network possible.
- Social skills are developed at this time. It is critical that children learn to successfully play/interact with others. So many of our life and learning skills are rooted in play. A child that can successfully play with others and make friends is off to a great start in life.
- Exposure to words and books is extremely important for kids to Grow. Research has shown us that this stage of a child's life is when critical brain development takes place. Their brains are like sponges and now is the time to build their vocabulary and understanding of the world. This is the time to take their natural curiosity of the world and expand upon it.
- Children need to learn to control their emotions and work within a group. This includes following directions and understanding the importance of following rules.
- In short, just like in a race or game, the team that gets off to a great start is the team that often wins!
Let’s make sure all our students are winners in life by getting off to a great start!
Screening Days for our 5 Star Preschool will take place on August 15th-16th, 2019. Please call Lincoln Elementary School 859-292-7492 to schedule your screening.
Proudly serving as Superintendent of Dayton Independent Schools