FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How do I get an appointment to see my guidance counselor?

A:  Stop by the Guidance Department Office to sign up for an appointment.  Ms. Newsome will do her best to meet with students who have requesed a meeting on Friday of that week.  Please understand that if there is an emergency or if she is out of the district, she will meet with you ASAP.

Q:  How do I request a transcript?

A:  You can request a transcript online through Parchment at www.parchment.com or stop by the Guidance Department Office to fill out a request.

Q:  How do I get a teacher to write a letter of recommendation for me?

A:  a) ask the teacher  b) provide the teacher with a resume  c) come by the guidance office and fill out the "Letter of Recommendation Request" form  d) give the teacher and guidance department 2 weeks to get the information mailed.

Q:  How do I access my ILP username and password?

A:  Stop by the Guidance Department office and request information OR ask your RTI/CCR teacher for the information.  Middle School Students should ask their 5th period teachers.

Q:  What is my Infinite Campus login?

A:  Username: Student ID number -- Password:  First initial and Last initial  of  your name AND your birthdate.  Example  - a student named Jane Doe whose birthday is June 21, 2005 - password would be jd062105

Q:  How do I change my class schedule?

A:  Come by the Guidance Department office and complete the schedule change request form  - including signatures from all the teachers involved as well as your parent(s)/guardian(s).

Q.  How do I find scholarships?

A:  Go to Dayton High School Guidance Department website and click on the scholarship tab.

Q:  How do I apply for financial aid for college?

A:  Go to https://www.fafsa.ed.gov and follow the step by step directions.  If you have problems call 1-800-433-3243

Q:  How do I register for the ACT?

A:  Online registration is the fastest method.  You will know immediately if your preferred test center has space for you to test, and you can also print your admission ticket from the website. 

Q:  How can I waive my college application fee? ‚Äč

A:  Stop by the Guidance Office.  Ms. Newsome can provide you with the documentation you need in order to waive your application fee.

Q:  How many excused college visits am I allowed to take?

A:  Seniors are allowed (and encouraged) to take up to 4 excused college visit days.  Stop by the Guidance office and pick up the form that you are required to have filled out during your college visit (and returned to the guidance office) in order for the visit to be counted as excused.

Q:  What are the graduation requirements at Dayton High School?



4 credits

Math (including Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry)

4 credits

Social Studies (including US History)

3 credits

Science (including Biology and two (2) Physical Sciences)

3 credits


1 credit


1 credit

Digital Literacy

1 credit


8 credits


25 credits

**Although it is not required for a high school diploma, DHS strongly encourages any college-bound student to complete two years of a foreign language.  This is a requirement for unconditional admission to any Kentucky public university.

Q:  What are Dual Credit Classes?

A:  The Gateway Community and Technical College offers DHS juniors and seniors the ability to gain college credit and experience a college campus environment while finishing their high school careers.  Students can earn up to 24 college credit hours (maximum of six hours during each fall and spring semesters), while simultaneously earning high school credits.  Dayton Independent School District will cover tuition and books for students who qualify to participate in the program. 

Q:  How do I get into Dual Credit Classes?

A:  Juniors and Seniors who have met the following benchmarks may qualify to take Dual Credit Classes:

  • Must have met all three (3) benchmarks required for college admission on the ACT exam.  Benchmarks are: English 18, Math 19, Reading 20.  If, after taking the ACT, a student has met two of three benchmarks, he/she may take the KYOTE exam at his/her own expense to attempt to become college ready in the 3rd area.  If the student meets the passing criteria on the KYOTE exam in the 3rd area, he or she will be allowed to take all dual credit classes offered during his/her junior year.  All students must be college ready, by KDE standards, on the first day of their senior year in order to continue taking or enroll for the first time in dual credit courses.
  • Must have maintained a GPA of at least a 2.5 during the semester prior to admission into dual credit courses.
  • Must maintain a GPA of at least 2.5 at DHS while taking dual credit courses.
  • Must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA in all active dual credit courses.  Failure to maintain the minimum GPA, under any circumstances, may result in removal from all present and future dual credit courses.
  • Must have a strong attendance record, having less than five (5) absences per semester at DHS.  Three (3) tardies will count as one absence.  Any student failing to attend classes at local colleges or universities, after signing out from DHS to do so, will be removed from all current dual credit classes and will be prohibited from attending future dual credit classes.
  • May have no more than 2 behavioral referrals per semester at DHS.  More than two referrals may result in the removal of any student from current dual credit courses and may prohibit that student from enrolling in future dual credit courses.
  • Extenuating circumstances may be considered by the school principal for decision making purposes.

Q:  How can I earn cords for graduation?

A:  If you are:

A student who has donated blood 4 times – Hoxworth Blood Center

Dark Red Cord

College Ready Only

Red Cord

Career Ready Only

Green Cord

A students who has completed 4 years of study in Fine Arts

Blue and Gold Cords

A students who has completed a Vocational Pathway


A quality member of Educator’s Rising

Black and Red

A student has completed 3 years of a Foreign Language with at least a “B” average

Red and Yellow Cord

A student has been a member of the Drug Free Club for at least 3 years including their senior year

Red, White, and Blue Cord


 Q:  What is a Career Pathway?

 A:  Career Pathways fall into a few categories.  The ones that we offer currently at DHS are Information Processing and Administrative Support.

In order to complete the Information Processing Pathway, students must take the following courses:

  • Digital Literacy
  • Advanced Computer Technology Applications
  • Financial Literacy
  • Multimedia Publishing

In order to complete the Administrative Support Pathway, students must take the following courses:

  • Digital Literacy
  • Advanced Computer Technology Applications
  • Financial Literacy
  • Business Communications

Q:  How do I qualify for Senior Signing Day?

A:  Requirements:

  • Must have your senior meeting with Ms. Newsome
  • Must apply to at least 4 colleges (one being Gateway) and be accepted to at least 1, OR  be accepted and committed to joining a branch of the military, OR be accepted or committed  into an apprenticeship program
  • Must retake the ACT or KYOTE senior year if you have not met the benchmarks
  • Must complete FAFSA by March 1
  • Must go on at least one college visit
  • Must complete your graduation portfolio