Be Part of the Solution to Drug Abuse and Addiction
Drug addiction and abuse is a disease of the family. We must come together with concrete solutions to prevent the next generation of kids from becoming victims to this terrible disease. Here is how.
Dayton Middle and High School has proudly sponsored a Drug Free Club of America for over five years. Our student participation rate has ranged from 10% to 20% of our student population. Let’s commit to a gutsy goal of 100% of our students as members.
- Almost 80% of America’s children under 18 have used alcohol.
- 50% have smoked marijuana or tried other drugs.
- Drugs now kill more people than any other non-natural cause.
- Approximately 1 in 12 Americans over the age of 12 is addicted to drugs.
- Drugs are the #1 cause of crime.
- 85% of the U.S. prison population were incarcerated for crimes committed while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- 80% of kids in the juvenile justice system are there because of problems related to their substance abuse.
- Students volunteer and lead the effort to choose to be Drug Free.
- Students volunteer to a 10 panel drug screening at the start of the school year and are subject to random tests during the year. Schools do not punish offenders…offenders are offered direction and guidance through St. Elizabeth Hospital.
- This is not a “caught you using” program! This is a program that gets you to commit to a belief that drugs are not part of your future dreams.
- Students get weekly, monthly and yearly incentives as members. They are also eligible for college scholarships!
- Parents are an important part of the program and communication is key. After every drug test session parents receive an email notifying them that testing occurred today. This allows for another important opportunity for parent/child talk about drugs and life.
What can you do?
- Find a DHS/DMS student and encourage…insist…that they become a member.
- Contact our school about being an “Incentive Supporter” of the club!
- Contact our school about making a financial contribution to assist with student memberships.
We greatly appreciate your support!
Please contact me for more information: Jay.email@example.com.
Superintendent of Dayton Schools