Our vision is for all students to acquire the academic, career, and personal skills to reach their fullest educational potential and successfully manage their lives as healthy, responsible, competent, and productive citizens who utilize their individual talents to make a positive impact on their community.
The mission of the Guidance Department at Dayton Middle and High School is to provide high quality, comprehensive school counseling services to all students. Our programs are designed to help all students develop and enhance their academic, social, career, and personal strengths in order to become responsible and productive citizens. There is a commitment to individual uniqueness and the maximum development of human potential.
Dayton Middle/High School Guidance Department Beliefs:
To successfully implement the school counseling program at Dayton Middle and High School, the counseling staff is committed to the following beliefs:
- All students can be successful.
- Every student has the right to actively participate in a comprehensive school counseling program led by a qualified and competent school counselor.
- School Counselors are an integral part of multiple, collaborative teams that are working to ensure student success.
- The student and parent/guardians are responsible for monitoring the student’s education progress with the assistance of a certified school counselor.
- Building relationships is the key to being a successful student advocate, guide, and liaison between all members of the school community.
- School Counselors must adhere to the professional and ethical standards of the Kentucky School Counselor Association and the American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
- The Guidance Department staff must set goals based on ASCA competencies and school data, provide quality work, and monitor data to evaluate the effectiveness of interventions.
- Professional development is critical to maintain and enhance a high quality school counseling program.